This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Finding a musical that starts with “X” is a tough one! So I fudged. X is for XIV (aka Louis XIV: Le Roi Soleil).
It was thanks to this beautiful musical I first learned of Louis XIV’s first love, Marie Mancini.
- Marie did not consummate her relationship with the Sun King.
- His love for her was a somewhat idealistic one, but he was so besotted that he wanted to marry her.
- Eventually, Cardinal Mazarin and Anne of Austria separated the couple, banishing Marie into exile and arranging for Louis’ marriage to Maria Theresa of Spain.
- In 1661, Marie was sent away to marry an Italian prince, Lorenzo Onofrio Colonna, who remarked after their wedding night that he was surprised to find her still a virgin.
Favorite Marie + Louis XIV Songs
- Encore du temps
- Je fais de toi mon essentiel
- S’aimer est interdit