This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.

sharing is caring

Good afternoon friends and fellow bloggers. Hope everyone has had a great memorial day weekend and are excited about what’s to come in the month of June.

I want to share a review of my experience at Los Robles Hospital (4 May – 10 May 2017). Today we will dive into what happened at the Emergency Room.

In the Ventura County, Los Robles Hospital is considered one of the best options. However what I experienced on the 4th of May was a huge disappointment and raised several red flags.

First: The Wait Time.

They say that their “ER Wait Times” text message service is approximate and represents the time it takes to see a qualified medical professional (not including a triage nurse). When I texted for the wait time, as we were pulling up to the curb, it said 15 minutes. Not too bad, I thought, but boy was I to be disappointed when it took several hours before I was finally rolled into a room only to wait another long while before the doctor himself appeared.

“ER Wait Times”: 23000

Wait Time: D

ER Waiting Room. (c) Los Robles Hospital.

Second: The Waiting Room.

Backing up… my dad pulled up to the curb outside the emergency room and went in search of a wheelchair since I could not walk. He found one in the foyer near the entrance and wheeled me inside. A volunteer (very kind) walked us over to the self check in station which was very easy and prompt. Then we were instructed to have a seat until a triage nurse called us in. The waiting room was about 1/2 full at the time so we pulled up a chair for my dad and he wheeled me up next to him.

The triage nurse called me after about 5-10 minutes and after taking my details, they sent me back into the waiting room. Now began the longggggggg wait. I kept seeing patients come in and pretty soon the waiting room was completely full.

A triage nurse (Asian male) came out and started my IV and asked me to give a urine sample. But that is where he failed miserably… I cannot walk and cannot even lift my feet but an inch or so and he offers no assistance to the bathroom and just tells my mom “she has to do it”. There was no kindness or compassion, just matter of fact coldness. #MajorFail

Later, I asked a passing volunteer (very kind young man in high school) if he knew an approximate time. He was going to comply graciously when a stuck up female volunteer (middle aged blonde) walked over and scolded him and haughtily told me that they didn’t do that and I would be seen after all the important clients. #WhatTheHeck

After a couple hours we were finally wheeled into a cubicle/room and more waiting commenced.

Waiting Room Staff: C-

(c) Los Robles Hospital.

Finally: The Doctor.

After being wheeled into the curtained cubicle, it was probably 15-30 minutes before the male nurse (Grand Canyon University graduate) arrived, said the doctor was going to be in soon and scurried out so fast I didn’t get a chance to ask for a drink.

Finally the doctor (Dr. Ramin Raven) breezed in with his students (?) in tow. He asked what was wrong and I specifically pointed out that I couldn’t walk and my legs weren’t moving. He proceeded to exam me and when he got to my abdomen he said I was constipated and sent me for an ultrasound. I was shocked! Constipation??? I was there for my LEGS!

After the test results confirmed constipation, he said that was my problem and that he was releasing me!!! I said but wait a second and reminded him that it was my legs and feet and he ‘threatened’ me that it was either ‘be admitted overnight or sent home’. We tried to get off the gurney but I couldn’t even sit up. He must have realized it was worse then he thought and finally agreed to admit me. He was definitely not pleased with this decision but walked out and I breathed a sigh of relief.

A half hour or so later, an African American woman stepped into the room, muttered something under her breathe about being required to give us a paper, dropped the paper into my mom’s lap and walked away. Again, I was shocked by the blatant disrespect and lack of courtesy we were being shown at Los Robles Hospital. And this form she had ‘given’ my mom had some very important information that required explaining and since it was near two a.m. at the time there was no one available to talk to at the phone number on the form. Thanks a lot, lady!

We were in the ER from 7 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. (7 1/2 hours) when they finally brought us to my room on the fourth floor.

Staff: F

A further review of my experience in the hospital will follow soon… In the meantime, if you have to go to Los Robles Hospital’s ER do yourself a favor and try to avoid Dr. Raven at all costs.