This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Yay. Thanks to TruConnect and Lifeline, I received my new FREE mobile plan in the mail sooner than estimated with an arrival of 23 August 2018 (Thursday) meaning I got to test out my phone plan all day Friday 24 August 2018 while going to all four (4!) of my appointments yesterday lol.
So what to know:
- I received the Android (Blaze x500) with SIM card included and the battery in a separate packet in the same shipping box. Even though it felt like I was breaking the phone apart, I used a coin to pull at the phone’s seem to open and install the battery.
- You need to make a phone call from your new device immediately after receiving it for activation. And at least one call per month to keep it activated.
- If you wish to keep your old mobile number, you’ll need to have your account information (password, username, phone #, etc.) available when calling TruConnect’s customer service number (1-800-430-0443).
- If you are an Apple user, you might find yourself very confused by the Android mobile device you’ll be sent (for FREE). Talk about apples and oranges. I will have a future post about using iCloud email and transferring your contacts to the Android.
- To set up your own device with the new SIM card, it’s suggested you try following TruConnect’s blog instructions here. Especially if you are trying to set up your 3g, this might be the only explainable instructions.
- For those in the Ventura County, I would reckon the TruConnect mobile broadband is similar to what I had with T-Mobile (with poor to no coverage in parts of my own house lol).
If you’re interested in getting your own Lifeline phone:
As previously mentioned, you can get Lifeline if you participate in one of these federal assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Programs (and live on federally-recognized Tribal lands)
Show a card, letter, or official document, as proof that you participate in one of these programs when you apply for Lifeline.
My phone plan via TruConnect includes:
Free – Android Phone (optional)
Free – Up to 1.5GB Monthly Data
Free – Unlimited Talk and Text
Free – Unlimited Calls to Select Countries