This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
As they say, “the show must go on” and Il Divo has decided to continue with their planned 2022 international tour in honor of their late friend Carlos Marin.
Who Are Il Divo?
Il Divo is the most commercially successful classical crossover group in international music history, which Il Divo still enjoys since they first banded together in 2003. With over 30 million albums sold, 160 gold and platinum albums in 33 countries to their credit Il Divo were the first Classical Crossover artists to have an album debut at #1 on Billboard’s Top 200 chart.
First discovered and mentored by Simon Cowell in 2003, the group became a pioneer of a musical genre unknown until that time when in 2004 they released their debut album “IL Divo”.
- Sebastien Izambard is a French musician, singer, composer and record producer who provides the warm soul pop voice to Il Divo. Musical lovers might recognize him as The Businessman/The King in Le Petit Prince, the 2002 Riccardo Cocciante musical.
- David Miller is an American opera singer whom Broadway fans might recognize from playing Rodolfo in Baz Luhrmann’s version of Puccini’s La Boheme in a company that included Alfie Boe and Ben Davis.
- Urs Buhler is a Swiss classically trained tenor who performed around the Netherlands singing oratorios and a classical repertoire before joining Il Divo in 2003.
- The late Carlos Marin was a Spanish baritone raised in Madrid, Spain, who recorded his first album when he was 8 years old. In addition to his vast repertoire of opera roles, he had also made a name for himself in musical theatre playing the roles of Marius in Les Miserables and The Beast in Beauty and the Beast. Tragically on December 7, 2021, Carlos Marín contracted COVID-19 and was hospitalized in Manchester, England. He was subsequently put into a medically induced coma, and died just prior to Christmas at the age of 53.
The international four-member group has become the world leader in its genre, and has achieved a second to none success around the world, performing before personalities like as former US presidents George Bush, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama, or the Queen of England.
Il Divo The Greatest Hits Tour (2022) Honors the Late Carlos Marin
Following the tragic passing of Il Divo‘s Carlos Marín from Coronavirus in December 2021, the remaining members of the multi-national group – America’s David Miller, France’s Sebastien Izambard and Switzerland’s Urs Bühler – chose to proceed with their tour in tribute to Marin. The tour, previously, the “For Once in My Life Tour” is now a Greatest Hits Tour and include special guest, Mexican American baritone Steven LaBrie.
“Carlos was a larger-than-life personality, with a rare combination of an incredibly beautiful, God-given voice and absolutely, immense talent. His passion, playfulness and sense of humor made for such a magical persona, and his laugh would always lift anyone up. He was loved by millions of fans all over the world and we were lucky and honored to be able to perform with him in our midst for so many years.
We’ll deeply miss his playfulness, friendship, and brilliant voice. In his honor, we’ll be setting up a Carlos Marin Foundation and will be playing tribute to his singing in our future shows. May everyone remember him for his beautiful soul, his amazing talent and may he forever rest in peace.”
– Miller, Izambard and Bühler in a joint statement
A Raw and Beautiful Concert of Love
The international tour just stopped over in Los Angeles and Anaheim. At the March 12, 2022 concert at the City National Grove of Anaheim, I was blessed to be in attendance so I could share my review with you.
The concert was a raw and at times even tearful hour and a half filled with favorites from their 18 year long catalog of music. Some songs were dedicated to the late Carlos Marin while others were dedicated to the wonderful response workers who have acted so well during these past two years of the pandemic.
Interspersed with the beautiful music were touching stories that the members shared about the late Carlos Marin and jokes with the guest artist, American-Mexican baritone Steven LaBrie, who shared how he first learned about Il Divo at a Barnes and Noble listening station. The younger baritone proved himself to be very capable of being on the stage with the three older and more experienced performers.
The group’s easy camaraderie together on the stage suggests that he would make for a great choice as a permanent replacement for the group. We shall see what happens after this international tour is finished.
But the true highlight of the show was a beautiful and stark moment on the stage when the three original members of Il Divo sang and sat on stools bath
ed in light and an empty stool was lit up to represent Carlos. They even had Carlos’ voice piped into the auditorium. I doubt there was not a tear-filled eye in the auditorium.
It is a show I, as a fan of Il Divo since 2004, will not likely forget and neither will any true Il Divo fan.
How Can I See Il Divo Greatest Hits Tour?
The full itinerary for the international Il Divo Greatest Hits Tour can be found at Il Divo Tour or at Nederlander Concerts.
Dates are currently set through December 2022.
Shop Il Divo on Amazon
More Posts to Read
- Pacific Symphony: Live Music is Back for 2021
- Disney Princess Concert is a Joyous Experience! (2022)
- BRIDGERTON: The Queen’s Ball Will Proudly Debut in LA (2022)
- Wicked The Musical Still Flies High in 2022