This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Often I find myself hearing about new discount options for those who have disabilities like myself. It is amazing how “hidden” these benefits are. There should be a list somewhere, I thought. So maybe I will start one now…
1. Electricity Discount (CARE/FERA)
If you need extra air or heat because of your health and get a doctor’s help, you can get a discount on your electricity bill for air conditioning and/or heating.
California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) reduces energy bills for eligible customers by about 30%.
Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) reduces electric bills for qualified households by 12%.
2. FREE Mobile Phone Plans (Lifeline)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Programs (and live on federally-recognized Tribal lands)
A while ago I heard about the program from a driver but they weren’t providing phones at the time. Apparently now they’re back to providing phones! YAY. I just applied and am getting my phone plan via TruConnect that includes:
Can’t wait to review it for you soon.
Update (8/15/18): TruConnect rep said that my application is being reviewed and after it has been approved in a couple days it will be shipped to me. If they have any questions they will contact me via email.
Update 8/21/18: Application was approved! They say “Please allow up to 2 weeks from the date of this email to receive your phone.”
3. Discounted AMAZON Prime w/ Medicaid.
– Prime is just $5.99/month for qualifying customers in select U.S. government assistance programs such as holders of the EBT card.
– Enjoy the benefits of Prime at almost 50% off the regular monthly price for 1 individual account!
-DOES NOT ALLOW FOR HOUSEHOLD SHARING!!!!
That’s it for now. Hope these 3 have been helpful. Cheers,